இந்து சமயம்
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» சித்திரை-நமது புத்தாண்டுத் தொடக்கம்.
by Dheeran Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:21 am

» மீண்டும் வருக
by Dheeran Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:08 am

» கே இனியவன் ஆன்மீக கவிதைகள்
by கே இனியவன் Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm

» தீபத்திருநாள் வாழ்த்துக்கள்
by Dheeran Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

» பண்டைய இந்தியாவின் விமானத் தொழில் நுட்பம்
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:23 pm

» வெற்றி மாபெரும் வெற்றி!
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:16 pm

» பாரதி பாடலில் அராஜக “செக்யுலர்” திருத்தங்கள் - ஜடாயு
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:55 pm

» மோடி, கருப்புப்பண ஒழிப்பு, ஊடகங்கள் - ஜெயமோகன்
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:41 pm

» அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம்.
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:46 am

» நான் ஒரு ஹிந்து என்பதில் ஏன் பெருமிதம் கொள்கிறேன் – பாகம் 1 AGNIVEER
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:42 am

» தேவையா இந்த சமஸ்கிருத துவேஷம்
by Dheeran Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46 pm

» சிவ வழிபாடு புத்தகம்
by tammy ranga Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 am

» ஷ்ரிடி சாய் பாபா புண்ணிய வரலாறு தமிழில்
by tammy ranga Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:35 am

» ஆரிய திராவிட மாயை
by Dheeran Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:10 pm

» தென்புலத்தார் வழிபாடு
by Dheeran Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:50 pm

» தமிழ் ஹிந்துவும் இலவச ஜோதிட கணிப்பு
by ஹரி ஓம் Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:36 am

» வெற்றி வேல்!!!வீரவேல்!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by ஹரி ஓம் Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:09 am

» சிவதாண்டவம் - PB ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ்
by i.mahatheva Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:24 pm

» கால சர்ப்ப தோஷம் என்றால் என்ன?
by jothi sangeetha Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

» மல்லிகைப் பூவை தலையில் சூடுங்கள் - பல்வேறு பிரச்சினைகளுக்கு மருந்து
by கே இனியவன் Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am

Topsites
Tamil 10 top sites [www.tamil10 .com ]
Ranking

The Rig Veda - Book 1

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Rig Veda - Book 1 - Page 5 Empty The Rig Veda - Book 1

Post by ராகவன் Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

HYMN I. Agni.

1 I Laud Agni, the chosen Priest, God, minister of sacrifice,
The hotar, lavishest of wealth.
2 Worthy is Agni to be praised by living as by ancient seers.
He shall bring hitherward the Gods.
3 Through Agni man obtaineth wealth, yea, plenty waxing day by day,
Most rich in heroes, glorious.
4 Agni, the perfect sacrifice which thou encompassest about
Verily goeth to the Gods.
5 May Agni, sapient-minded Priest, truthful, most gloriously great,
The God, come hither with the Gods.
6 Whatever blessing, Agni, thou wilt grant unto thy worshipper,
That, Aṅgiras, is indeed thy truth.
7 To thee, dispeller of the night, O Agni, day by day with prayer
Bringing thee reverence, we come
8 Ruler of sacrifices, guard of Law eternal, radiant One,
Increasing in thine own abode.
9 Be to us easy of approach, even as a father to his son:
Agni, be with us for our weal.

Last edited by சிவன் on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

http://www.tamilhindu.net/

Back to top Go down

The Rig Veda - Book 1 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Rig Veda - Book 1

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am

HYMN CI. Indra.

1. SING, with oblation, praise to him who maketh glad, who with Ṛjiśvan drove the dusky brood away.
Fain for help, him the strong whose right hand wields the bolt, him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
2 Indra, who with triumphant wrath smote Vyaṁsa down, and Śambara, and Pipru the unrighteous one;
Who extirpated Śuṣṇa the insatiate,—him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
3 He whose great work of manly might is heaven and earth, and Varuṇa and Sūrya keep his holy law;
Indra, whose law the rivers follow as they flow,—him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
4 He who is Lord and Master of the steeds and kine, honoured—the firm and sure—at every holy act;
Stayer even of the strong who pours no offering out,—him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
5 He who is Lord of all the world that moves and breathes, who for the Brahman first before all found the Cows;
Indra who cast the Dasyus down beneath his feet,—him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
6 Whom cowards must invoke and valiant men of war, invoked by those who conquer and by those who flee;
Indra, to whom all beings turn their constant thought,—him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
7 Refulgent in the Rudras’ region he proceeds, and with the Rudras through the wide space speeds the Dame.
The hymn of praise extols Indra the far-renowned: him girt by Maruts we invoke to be our Friend.
8 O girt by Maruts, whether thou delight thee in loftiest gathering-place or lowly dwelling,
Come thence unto our rite, true boon-bestower: through love of thee have we prepared oblations.
9 We, fain for thee, strong Indra, have pressed Soma, and, O thou sought with prayer, have made oblations.
Now at this sacrifice, with all thy Maruts, on sacred grass, O team-borne God, rejoice thee.
10 Rejoice thee with thine own Bay Steeds, O Indra, unclose thy jaws and let thy lips be open.
Thou with the fair cheek, let thy Bay Steeds bring thee: gracious to us, he pleased with our oblation.
11 Guards of the camp whose praisers are the Maruts, may we through Indra, get ourselves the booty.
This prayer of ours may Varuṇa grant, and Mitra, and Aditi and Sindhu, Earth and Heaven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am

HYMN CII. Indra.

1. To thee the Mighty One I bring this mighty hymn, for thy desire hath been gratified by my laud.
In Indra, yea in him victorious through his strength, the Gods have joyed at feast and when the Soma flowed.
2 The Seven Rivers bear his glory far and wide, and heaven and sky and earth display his comely form.
The Sun and Moon in change alternate run their course, that we, O Indra, may behold and may have faith.
3 Maghavan, grant us that same car to bring us spoil, thy conquering car in which we joy in shock of fight.
Thou, Indra, whom our hearts praise highly in the war, grant shelter, Maghavan, to us who love thee well.
4 Encourage thou our side in every fight: may we, with thee for our ally, conquer the foeman's host.
Indra, bestow on us joy and felicity break down, O Maghavan, the vigour of our foes.
5 For here in divers ways these men invoking thee, holder of treasures, sing hymns to win thine aid.
Ascend the car that thou mayest bring spoil to us, for, Indra, thy fixt winneth the victory.
6 His arms win kine, his power is boundless in each act best, with a hundred helps, waker of battle's din
Is Indra: none may rival him in mighty strength. Hence, eager for the spoil the people call on him.
7 Thy glory, Maghavan, exceeds a hundred yea, more than a hundred, than a thousand mid the folk,
The great bowl hath inspirited thee boundlessly: so mayst thou slay the Vṛtras, breaker-down of forts!
8 Of thy great might there is a three counterpart, the three earths, Lord men and the three realms of light.
Above this whole world, Indra, thou hast waxen great: without a foe art thou, nature, from of old.
9 We invocate thee first among the Deities: thou hast become a mighty Conquer in fight.
May Indra fill with spirit this our singer's heart, and make our car impetuous, foremost in attack.
10 Thou hast prevailed, and hast not kept the booty back, in trifling battles in those of great account.
We make thee keen, the Mighty One, succour us: inspire us, Maghavan, when we defy the foe.
11 May Indra evermore be our Protector, and unimperilled may we win the booty.
This prayer of ours may Varuṇa grant and Mitra, and Aditi and Sindhu, Earth and Heaven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:03 am

HYMN CIII. Indra.

1. THAT highest Indra-power of thine is distant: that which is here sages possessed aforetime.
This one is on the earth, in heaven the other, and both unite as flag with flag in battle.
2 He spread the wide earth out and firmly fixed it, smote with his thunderbolt and loosed the waters.
Maghavan with his puissance struck down Ahi, rent Rauhiṇa to death and slaughtered Vyaṁsa.
3 Armed with his bolt and trusting in his prowess he wandered shattering the forts of Dāsas.
Cast thy dart, knowing, Thunderer, at the Dasyu; increase the Ārya's might and glory, Indra.
4 For him who thus hath taught these human races, Maghavan, bearing a fame-worthy title,
Thunderer, drawing nigh to slay the Dasyus, hath given himself the name of Son for glory.
5 See this abundant wealth that he possesses, and put your trust in Indra's hero vigour.
He found the cattle, and he found the horses, he found the plants, the forests and the waters.
6 To him the truly strong, whose deeds are many, to him the strong Bull let us pour the Soma.
The Hero, watching like a thief in ambush, goes parting the possessions of the godless.
7 Well didst thou do that hero deed, O Indra, in waking with thy bolt the slumbering Ahi.
in thee, delighted, Dames divine rejoiced them, the flying Maruts and all Gods were joyful.
8 As thou hast smitten Śuṣṇa, Pipru, Vṛtra and Kuyava, and Śambara's forts, O Indra.
This prayer of ours may Varuṇa grant, and Mitra, and Aditi and Sindhu, Earth and Heaven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CIV. Indra.

1. THE altar hath been made for thee to rest on: come like a panting courser and be seated.
Loosen thy flying Steeds, set free thy Horses who bear thee swiftly nigh at eve and morning.
2 These men have come to Indra for assistance: shall he not quickly come upon these pathways?
May the Gods quell the fury of the Dāsa, and may they lead our folk to happy fortune.
3 He who hath only wish as his possession casts on himself, casts foam amid the waters.
Both wives of Kuyava in milk have bathed them: may they be drowned within the depth of Śiphā.
4 This hath his kinship checked who lives beside us: with ancient streams forth speeds and rules the Hero,
Añjasī, Kuliśī, and Virapatnī, delighting him, bear milk upon their waters.
5 Soon as this Dasyu's traces were discovered, as she who knows her home, he sought the dwelling.
Now think thou of us, Maghavan, nor cast us away as doth a profligate his treasure.
6 Indra, as such, give us a share of sunlight, of waters, sinlessness, and reputation.
Do thou no harm to our yet unborn offspring: our trust is in thy mighty Indra-power.
7 Now we, I think, in thee as such have trusted: lead us on, Mighty One, to ample riches.
In no unready house give us, O Indra invoked of many, food and drink when hungry.
8 Slay us not, Indra; do not thou forsake us: steal not away the joys which we delight in.
Rend not our unborn brood, strong Lord of Bounty! our vessels with the life that is within them.
9 Come to us; they have called thee Soma-lover: here is the pressed juice. Drink thereof for rapture.
Widely-capacious, pour it down within thee, and, invocated, hear us like a Father.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CV. Viśvedevas.

1. WITHIN the waters runs the Moon, he with the beauteous wings in heaven.
Ye lightnings with your golden wheels, men find not your abiding-place. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
2 Surely men crave and gain their wish. Close to her husband clings the wife.
And, in embraces intertwined, both give and take the bliss of love. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
3 O never may that light, ye Gods, fall from its station in the sky.
Ne’er fail us one like Soma sweet, the spring of our felicity. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
4 I ask the last of sacrifice. As envoy he shall tell it forth.
Where is the ancient law divine? Who is its new diffuser now? Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
5 Ye Gods who yonder have your home in the three lucid realms of heaven,
What count ye truth and what untruth? Where is mine ancient call on you? Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
6 What is your firm support of Law? What Varuṇa's observant eye?
How may we pass the wicked on the path of mighty Aryaman? Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
7 I am the man who sang of old full many a laud when Soma flowed.
Yet torturing cares consume me as the wolf assails the thirsty deer. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
8 Like rival wives on every side enclosing ribs oppress me sore.
O Śatakratu, biting cares devour me, singer of thy praise, as rats devour the weaver's threads. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
9 Where those seven rays are shining, thence my home and family extend.
This Tṛta Āptya knoweth well, and speaketh out for brotherhood. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
10 May those five Bulls which stand on high full in the midst of mighty heaven,
Having together swiftly borne my praises to the Gods, return. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
11 High in the mid ascent of heaven those Birds of beauteous pinion sit.
Back from his path they drive the wolf as he would cross the restless floods. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
12 Firm is this new-wrought hymn of praise, and meet to be told forth, O Gods.
The flowing of the floods is Law, Truth is the Sun's extended light. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
13 Worthy of laud, O Agni, is that kinship which thou hast with Gods.
Here seat thee like a man: most wise, bring thou the Gods for sacrifice. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
14 Here seated, man-like as a priest shall wisest Agni to the Gods
Speed onward our oblations, God among the Gods, intelligent. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
15 Varuṇa makes the holy prayer. To him who finds the path we pray.
He in the heart reveals his thought. Let sacred worship rise anew. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
16 That pathway of the Sun in heaven, made to be highly glorified,
Is not to be transgressed, O Gods. O mortals, ye behold it not. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
17 Tṛta, when buried in the well, calls on the Gods to succour him.
That call of his Bṛhaspati heard and released him from distress. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
18 A ruddy wolf beheld me once, as I was faring on my path.
He, like a carpenter whose back is aching crouched and slunk away. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
19 Through this our song may we, allied with Indra, with all our heroes conquer in the battle.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:04 am

HYMN CVI. Viśvedevas.

1. CALL we for aid on Indra, Mitra, Varuṇa and Agni and the Marut host and Aditi.
Even as a chariot from a difficult ravine, bountiful Vasus, rescue us from all distress.
2 Come ye Ādityas for our full prosperity, in conquests of the foe, ye Gods, bring joy to us.
Even as a chariot from a difficult ravine, bountiful Vasus, rescue us from all distress.
3 May the most glorious Fathers aid us, and the two Goddesses, Mothers of the Gods, who strengthen Law.
4 To mighty Narāśaṁsa, strengthening his might, to Pūṣan, ruler over men, we pray with hymns.
5 Bṛhaspati, make us evermore an easy path: we crave what boon thou hast for men in rest and stir.
Like as a chariot from a difficult ravine, bountiful Vasus, rescue us from all distress.
6 Sunk in the pit the Ṛṣi Kutsa called, to aid, Indra the Vṛtra-slayer, Lord of power and might.
7 May Aditi the Goddess guard us with the Gods: may the protecting God keep us with ceaseless care.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CVII. Viśvedevas.

1. THE sacrifice obtains the Gods’ acceptance: be graciously inclined to us, Ādityas.
Hitherward let your favour be directed, and be our best deliverer from trouble.
2 By praise-songs of Aṅgirases exalted, may the Gods come to us with their protection.
May Indra with his powers, Maruts with Maruts, Aditi with Ādityas grant us shelter.
3 This laud of ours may Varuṇa and Indra, Aryaman Agni, Savitar find pleasant.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CVIII. Indra-Agni.

1. ON that most wondrous car of yours, O Indra and Agni, which looks round on all things living,
Take ye your stand and come to us together, and drink libations of the flowing Soma.
2 As vast as all this world is in its compass, deep as it is, with its far-stretching surface,
So let this Soma be, Indra and Agni, made for your drinking till your soul be sated.
3 For ye have won a blessed name together: yea, with one aim ye strove, O Vṛtra-slayers.
So Indra-Agni, seated here together, pour in, ye Mighty Ones, the mighty Soma.
4 Both stand adorned, when fires are duly kindled, spreading the sacred grass, with lifted ladles.
Drawn by strong Soma juice poured forth around us, come, Indra-Agni, and display your favour.
5 The brave deeds ye have done, Indra and Agni, the forms ye have displayed and mighty exploits,
The ancient and auspicious bonds of friendship,—for sake of these drink of the flowing Soma.
6 As first I said when choosing you, in battle we must contend with Asuras for this Soma.
So came ye unto this my true conviction, and drank libations of the flowing Soma.
7 If in your dwelling, or with prince or Brahman, ye, Indra-Agni, Holy Ones, rejoice you,
Even from thence, ye mighty Lords, come hither, and drink libation of the flowing Soma.
8 If with, the Yadus, Turvaśas, ye sojourn, with Druhyus, Anus, Pūrus, Indra-Agni!
Even from thence, ye mighty Lords, come hither, and drink libations of the flowing Soma.
9 Whether, O Indra-Agni, ye be dwelling in lowest earth, in central, or in highest.
Even from thence, ye mighty Lords, come hither, and drink libations of the flowing Soma.
10 Whether, O Indra-Agni, ye be dwelling in highest earth, in central, or in lowest,
11 Whether ye be in heaven, O Indra-Agni, on earth, on mountains, in the herbs, or waters,
12 If, when the Sun to the mid-heaven hath mounted, ye take delight in food, O Indra-Agni,
13 Thus having drunk your fill of our libation, win us all kinds of wealth, Indra and Agni.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 am

HYMN CIX. Indra-Agni.

1. LONGING for weal I looked around, in spirit, for kinsmen, Indra-Agni, or for brothers.
No providence but yours alone is with me so have I wrought for you this hymn for succour.
2 For I have heard that ye give wealth more freely than worthless son-in-law or spouse's brother.
So offering to you this draught of Soma, I make you this new hymn, Indra and Agni,
3 Let us not break the cords: with this petition we strive to gain the powers of our forefathers.
For Indra-Agni the strong drops are joyful, for here in the bowl's lap are both the press-stones.
4 For you the bowl divine, Indra and Agni, presses the Soma gladly to delight you.
With hands auspicious and fair arms, ye Aśvins, haste, sprinkle it with sweetness in the waters.
5 You, I have heard, were mightiest, Indra-Agni, when Vṛtra fell and when the spoil was parted.
Sit at this sacrifice, ye ever active, on the strewn grass, and with the juice delight you.
6 Surpassing all men where they shout for battle, ye Twain exceed the earth and heaven in greatness.
Greater are ye than rivers and than mountains, O Indra-Agni, and all things beside them.
7 Bring wealth and give it, ye whose arms wield thunder: Indra and Agni, with your powers protect us.
Now of a truth these be the very sunbeams wherewith our fathers were of old united.
8 Give, ye who shatter forts, whose hands wield thunder: Indra and Agni, save us in our battles.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 am

HYMN CX. Rbhus.

1. THE holy work I wrought before is wrought again: my sweetest hymn is sung to celebrate your praise.
Here, O ye Rbhus, is this sea for all the Gods: sate you with Soma offered with the hallowing word.
2 When, seeking your enjoyment onward from afar, ye, certain of my kinsmen, wandered on your way,
Sons of Sudhanvan, after your long journeying, ye came unto the home of liberal Savitar.
3 Savitar therefore gave you immortality, because ye came proclaiming him whom naught can hide;
And this the drinking-chalice of the Asura, which till that time was one, ye made to be fourfold.
4 When they had served with zeal at sacrifice as priests, they, mortal as they were, gained immortality.
The Rbhus, children of Sudhanvan, bright as suns, were in a year's course made associate with prayers.
5 The Rbhus, with a rod measured, as 'twere a field, the single sacrificial chalice. wide of mouth,
Lauded of all who saw, praying for what is best, desiring glorious fame among Immortal Gods.
6 As oil in ladles, we through knowledge will present unto the Heroes of the firmament our hymn,-
The Rbhus who came near with this great Father's speed, and rose to heaven's high sphere to cat the strengthening food.
7 Rbhu to us is Indra freshest in his might, Rbhu with powers and wealth is giver of rich gifts.
Gods, through your favour may we on the happy day quell the attacks of those who pour no offerings forth.
8 Out of a skin, O Rbhus, once ye formed a cow, and brought the mother close unto her calf again.
Sons of Sudhanvan, Heroes, with surpassing skill ye made your aged Parents youthful as before.
9 Help us with strength where spoil is won, O Indra: joined with the gbhus give us varied bounty.
This prayer of ours may Varuna grant, and Mitra, and Aditi and Sindhu, Earth and Heaven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

HYMN CXI. Rbhus.

1. WORKING with skill they wrought the lightly rolling car: they wrought the Bays who bear Indra and bring great gifts.
The Rbhus for their Parents made life young again; and fashioned for the calf a mother by its side.
2 For sacrifice make for us active vital power for skill and wisdom food with noble progeny.
Grant to our company this power most excellent, that with a family all-heroic we may dwell.
3 Do ye, O Rbhus, make prosperity for us, prosperity for car, ye Heroes, and for steed.
Grant us prosperity victorious evermore,
conquering foes in battle, strangers or akin.
4 Indra, the Rbhus' Lord, I invocate for aid, the Rbhus, Vajas, Maruts to the Soma draught.
Varuna, Mitra, both, yea, and the Asvins Twain: let them speed us to wealth, wisdom, and victory.
5 May Rbhu send prosperity for battle, may Vaja conquering in the fight protect us.
This prayer of ours may Varuna grant, and Mitra, and Aditi and Sindhu, Earth and Heaven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXII. Asvins.

1 To give first thought to them, I worship Heaven and Earth, and Agni, fair bright glow, to hasten their approach.
Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids wherewith in fight ye speed the war-cry to the spoil.
2 Ample, unfailing, they have mounted as it were an eloquent car that ye may think of us and give.
Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids wherewith ye help our thoughts to further holy acts.
3 Ye by the might which heavenly nectar giveth you are in supreme dominion Lords of all these folk.
Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids wherewith ye, Heroes, made the barren cow give milk.
4 The aids wherewith the Wanderer through his offipring's might, or the Two-Mothered Son shows swiftest mid the swift;
Wherewith the sapient one acquired his triple lore,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
5 Wherewith ye raised from waters, prisoned and fast bound, Rebha, and Vandana to look upon the light;
Wherewith ye succoured Kapva as he strove to win,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
6 Wherewith ye rescued Antaka when languishing deep in the pit, and Bhujyu with unfailing help.
And comforted Karkandhu, Vayya, in their woe,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
7 Wherewith ye gave gucanti wealth and happy home, and made the fiery pit friendly for Atri's sake;
Wherewith ye guarded Purukutsa, Prsnigu, -Come hither unto us, O Agvin;, with those aids.
8 Mighty Ones, with what powers ye gave Paravrj aid what time ye made the blind and lame to see and walk;
Wherewith ye set at liberty the swallowed quail,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
9 Wherewith ye quickened the most sweet exhaustless flood, and comforted Vasistha, ye who ne'er decay;
And to Srutarya, Kutsa, Narya gave your help,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
10 Wherewith ye helped, in battle of a thousand spoils, Vispala seeking booty, powerless to move.
Wherewith ye guarded friendly Vaga, Asva's son,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
11 Whereby the cloud, ye Bounteous Givers, shed sweet rain for Dirghasravas, for the merchant Ausija,
Wherewith ye helped Kaksivan, singer of your praise,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
12 Wherewith ye made Rasa swell full with water-floods, and urged to victory the car without a horse;
Wherewith Trisoka drove forth his recovered cows,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
13 Wherewith ye, compass round the Sun when far away, strengthened Manddatar in his tasks as lord of lands,
And to sage Bharadvija gave protecting help,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
14 Wherewith, when Sambara was slain, ye guarded well great Atithigva, Divodisa, Kasoju,
And Trasadasyu when the forts were shattered down,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
15 Wherewith ye honoured the great drinker Vamra, and Upastuta and Kali when he gained his wife,
And lent to Vyasva. and to Prthi favouring help,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
16 Wherewith, O Heroes, ye vouchsafed deliverance to Sayu, Atri, and to Manu long ago;
Wherewith ye shot your shafts in Syumarasmi's cause.-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
17 Wherewith Patharva, in his majesty of form, shone in his course like to a gathered kindled fire;
Wherewith ye helped Suryata in the mighty fray,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
18 Wherewith, Angirases! ye triumphed in your heart, and onward went to liberate the flood of milk;
Wherewith ye helped the hero Manu with new strength,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
19 Wherewith ye brought awife for Vimada to wed, wherewith ye freely gave the ruddy cows away;
Wherewith ye brought the host of kind Gods to Sudas-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
20 Wherewith ye bring great bliss to him who offers gifts, wherewith ye have protected Bhujyu, Adhrigu,
And good and gracious Subhara and Rtastup,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
21 Wherewith ye served Krsanu where the shafts were shot, and helped the young man's horse to swiftness in the race;
Wherewith ye bring delicious honey to the bees,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
22 Wherewith ye speed the hero as he fights for kine in hero battle, in the strife for land and sons,
Wherewith ye safely guard his horses and his car,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins with those aids.
23 Wherewith ye, Lords of Hundred Powers, helped Kutsa, son of Aduni, gave Turviti and Dabhiti strength,
Favoured Dhvasanti and lent Purusanti help,-Come hither unto us, O Asvins, with those aids.
24 Make ye our speech effectual, O ye Asvins, and this our hymn, ye mighty Wonder-Workers.
In luckless game I call on you for succour . strengthen us also on the field of battle.
25 With, undiminished blessings, O ye Asvins, for evermore both night and day protect us.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXIII. Dawn.

1. This light is come, amid all lights the fairest; born is the brilliant, far-extending brightness.
Night, sent away for Savitar's uprising, hath yielded up a birth-place for the Morning.
2 The Fair, the Bright is come with her white offspring; to her the Dark One hath resigned her dwelling.
Akin, immortal, following each other, changing their colours both the heavens move onward.
3 Common, unending is the Sisters' pathway; taught by the Gods, alternately they travel.
Fair-formed, of different hues and yet one-minded, Night and Dawn clash not, neither do they travel.
4 Bright leader of glad sounds, our eyes behold her; splendid in hue she hath unclosed the portals.
She, stirring up the world, hath shown us riches: Dawn hath awakened every living creature.
5 Rich Dawn, she sets afoot the coiled-up sleeper, one for enjoyment, one for wealth or worship,
Those who saw little for extended vision. All living creatures hath the Dawn awakened.
6 One to high sway, one to exalted glory, one to pursue his gain, and one his labour:
All to regard their different vocations, all moving creatures hath the Dawn awakened.
7 We see her there, the Child of Heaven apparent, the young Maid, flushing in her shining raiment.
Thou soyran Lady of all earthly treasure, flush on us here, auspicious Dawn, this morning.
8 She first of endless morns to come hereafter, follows the path of morns that have departed.
Dawn, at her rising, urges forth the living him who is dead she wakes not from his slumber.
9 As thou, Dawn, hast caused Agni to be kindled, and with the Sun's eye hast revealed creation.
And hast awakened men to offer worship, thou hast performed, for Gods, a noble service.
10 How long a time, and they shall be together,-Dawns that have shone and Dawns to shine hereafter?
She yearns for former Dawns with eager longing, and goes forth gladly shining with the others.
11 Gone are the men who in the days before us looked on the rising of the earlier Morning.
We, we the living, now behold her brightness and they come nigh who shall hereafter see her.
12 Foe-chaser, born of Law, the Law's protectress, joy-giver waker of all pleasant voices,
Auspicious, bringing food for Gods' enjoyment, shine on us here, most bright, O Dawn, this morning.
13 From days eternal hath Dawn shone, the Goddess, and shows this light to-day, endowed with riches.
So will she shine on days to come immortal she moves on in her own strength, undecaying.
14 In the sky's borders hath she shone in splendour: the Goddess hath thrown off the veil of darkness.
Awakening the world with purple horses, on her well-harnessed chariot Dawn approaches.
15 Bringing all life-sustaining blessings with her, showing herself she sends forth brilliant lustre.
Last of the countless mornings that have vanished, first of bright morns to come hath Dawn arisen.
16 Arise! the breath, the life, again hath reached us: darkness hath passed away and light approacheth.
She for the Sun hath left a path to travel we have arrived where men prolong existence.
17 Singing the praises of refulgent Mornings with his hymn's web the priest, the poet rises.
Shine then to-day, rich Maid, on him who lauds thee, shine down on us the gift of life and offipring.
18 Dawns giving sons all heroes, kine and horses, shining upon the man who brings oblations,-
These let the Soma-presser gain when ending his glad songs louder than the voice of Vayu.
19 Mother of Gods, Aditi's forui of glory, ensign of sacrifice, shine forth exalted.
Rise up, bestowing praise on our devotion all-bounteous, niake us chief among the people.
20 Whatever splendid wealth the Dawns bring with them to bless the man who offers praise and worship,
Even that may Mitra, Varuna vouchsafe us, and Aditi and Sindhu, Earth and Heaven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXIV. Rudra.

1. To the strong Rudra bring we these our songs of praise, to him the Lord of Heros with the braided hair,
That it be well with all our cattle and our men, that in this village all he healthy and well-fed.
2 Be gracious unto us, O Rudra, bring us joy: thee, Lord of Heroes, thee with reverence will we serve.
Whatever health and strength our father Manu won by sacrifice may we, under thy guidance, gain.
3 By worship of the Gods may we, O Bounteous One, O Rudra, gain thy grace, Ruler of valiant men.
Come to our families, bringing them bliss: may we, whose heroes are uninjured, bring thee sacred gifts,
4 Hither we call for aid the wise, the wanderer, impetuous Rudra, perfecter of sacri fice.
May he repel from us the anger of the Gods: verily we desire his favourable grace.
5 Him with the braided hair we call with reverence down, the wild-boar of the sky, the red, the dazzling shape.
May he, his hand filled full of sovran medicines, grant us protection, shelter, and a home secure.
6 To him the Maruts' Father is this hymn addressed, to strengthen Rudra's might, a song more sweet than sweet.
Grant us, Immortal One, the food which mortals eat: be gracious unto me, my seed, my progeny.
7 O Rudra, harm not either great or small of us, harm not the growing boy, harm not the full-grown man.
Slay not a sire among us, slay no mother here, and to our own dear bodies, Rudra, do not harm.
8 Harm us not, Rudra, in our seed and progeny, harm us not in the living, nor in cows or steeds,
Slay not our heroes in the fury of thy wrath. Bringing oblations evermore we call to thee.
9 Even as a herdsman I have brought thee hymns of praise: O Father of the Maruts, give us happiness,
Blessed is thy most favouring benevolence, so, verily, do we desire thy saving help.
10 Far be thy dart that killeth men or cattle: thy bliss be with us, O thou Lord of Heroes.
Be gracious unto us, O God, and bless us, and then vouchsafe us doubly-strong protection.
11 We, seeking help, have spoken and adored him: may Rudra, girt by Maruts, hear our calling.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 am

HYMN CXV. Surya.

1. THE brilliant presence of the Gods hath risen, the eye of Mitra, Varuna and Agni.
The soul of all that moveth not or moveth, the Sun hath filled the air and earth and heaven.
2 Like as a young man followeth a maiden, so doth the Sun the Dawn, refulgent Goddess:
Where pious men extend their generations, before the Auspicious One for happy fortune.
3 Auspicious are the Sun's Bay-coloured Horses, bright, changing hues, meet for our shouts of triumph.
Bearing our prayers, die sky's ridge have they mounted, and in a moment speed round earth and heaven.
4 This is the Godhead, this might of Surya: he hath withdrawn what spread o'er work unfinished.
When he hath loosed his Horses from their station, straight over all Night spreadeth out her garment.
5 In the sky's lap the Sun this form assumeth that Varuna and Mitra may behold it.
His Bay Steeds well maintain his power eternal, at one time bright and darksome at another.
6 This day, O Gods, while Surya is ascending, deliver us from trouble and dishonour.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXVI. Asvins.

1. I TRIM like grass my song for the Nasatyas and send their lauds forth as the wind drives rain-clouds,
Who, in a chariot rapid as an arrow, brought to the youthful Vimada a consort.
2 Borne on by rapid steeds of mighty pinion, or proudly trusting in the Gods' incitements.
That stallion ass of yours won, O Nasatyas, that thousand in the race, in Yama's contest.
3 Yea, Asvins, as a dead man leaves his riches, Tugra left Bhujyu in the cloud of waters.
Ye brought him back in animated vessels, traversing air, unwetted by the billows.
4 Bhujyu ye bore with winged things, Nasatyas, which for three nights, three days full swiftly travelled,
To the sea's farther shore, the strand of ocean, in three cars, hundred-footed, with six horses.
5 Ye wrought that hero exploit in the ocean which giveth no support, or hold or station,
What time ye carried Bhujyu to his dwelling, borne in a ship with hundred oars, O Asvins.
6 The white horse which of old ye gave Aghasva, Asvins, a gift to be his wealth for ever,-
Still to be praised is that your glorious present, still to be famed is the braye horse of Pedu.
7 O Heroes, ye gave wisdom to Kaksivan who sprang from Pajra's line, who sang your praises.
Ye poured forth from the hoof of your strong charger a hundred jars of wine as from a strainer.
8 Ye warded off with cold the fire's fierce burning; food very rich in nouripliment ye furnished.
Atri, cast downward in the cavern, Asvins ye brought, with all his people, forth to comfort.
9 Ye lifted up the well, O ye Nasatyas, and set the base on high to open downward.
Streams flowed for folk of Gotama who thirsted, like rain to bring forth thousandfold abundance.
10 Ye from the old Cyavana, O Nasatyas, stripped, as 'twere mail, the skin upon
his body,
Lengthened his life when all had left him helpless, Dasras! and made him lord of youthful maidens.
11 Worthy of praise and worth the winning, Heroes, is that your favouring succour O Nasatyas,
What time ye, knowing well his case, delivered Vandana trom the pit like hidden treasure.
12 That mighty deed of yours, for gain, O Heroes, as thunder heraldeth the rain, I publish,
When, by the horse's head, Atharvan's offspring Dadhyac made known to you the Soma's sweetness.
13 In the great rite the wise dame called, Nasatyas, you, Lords of many treasures, to assist her.
Ye heard the weakling's wife, as 'twere an order, and gave to her a son Hiranyahasta.
14 Ye from the wolf's jaws, as ye stood together, set free the quail, O Heroes, O Nasatyas.
Ye, Lords of many treasures, gave the poet his perfect vision as he mourned his trouble.
15 When in the time of night, in Khela's battle, a leg was severed like a wild bird's pinion,
Straight ye gave Vispali a leg of iron that she might move what time the conflict opened.
16 His father robbed Rjrasva of his eyesight who for the she-wolf slew a hundred wethers.
Ye gave him eyes, Nasatyas, Wonder-Workers, Physicians, that he saw with sight uninjured.
17 The Daughter of the Sun your car ascended, first reaching as it were the goal with coursers.
All Deities within their hearts assented, and ye, Nasatyas, are close linked with glory.
18 When to his house ye came, to Divodasa, hasting to Bharadvaja, O ye Asvins,
The car that came with you brought splendid riches: a porpoise and a bull were yoked together.
19 Ye, bringing wealth with rule, and life with offspring, life rich in noble heroes; O Nasatyas,
Accordant came with strength to Jahnu's children who offered you thrice every day your portion.
20 Ye bore away at night by easy pathways Jahusa compassed round on every quarter,
And, with your car that cleaves the toe asunder, Nasatyas never decaying! rent the mountains.
21 One morn ye strengthened Vaga for the battle, to gather spoils that might be told in thousands.
With Indra joined ye drove away misfortunes, yea foes of Prthusravas, O ye mighty.
22 From the deep well ye raised on high the water, so that Rcatka's son, Sara, should drink it;
And with your might, to help the weary Sayu, ye made the barren cow yield milk, Nasatyas.
23 To Visvaka, Nasatyas! son of Krsna, the righteous man who sought your aid and praised you,
Ye with your powers restored, like some lost creature, his son Visnapu for his eyes to look on.
24 Asvins, ye raised, like Soma in a ladle Rebha, who for ten days and ten nights, fettered.
Had lain in cruel bonds, immersed and wounded, suffering sore affliction, in the waters.
25 1 have declared your wondrous deeds, O Asvins: may this be mine, and many kine and heroes.
May I, enjoying lengthened life, still seeing, enter old age as 'twere the house I live in.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXVII. Asvins.

1. ASVINS, your ancient priest invites you hither to gladden you with draughts of meath of Soma.
Our gift is on the grass, our song apportioned: with food and strength come hither, O Nasatyas.
2 That car of yours, swifter than thought, O Asvins, which drawn by brave steeds cometh to the people,
Whereon ye seek the dwelling of the pious,-come ye thereon to our abode, O Heroes.
3 Ye freed sage Atri, whom the Five Tribes honoured, from the strait pit, ye Heroes with his people,
Baffling the guiles of the malignant Dasyu, repelling them, ye Mighty in succession.
4 Rebha the sage, ye mighty Heroes, Asvins! whom, like a horse, vile men had sunk in water,-
Him, wounded, with your wondrous power ye rescued: your exploits of old time endure for ever.
5 Ye brought forth Vandana, ye Wonder-Workers, for triumph, like fair gold that hath been buried,
Like one who slumbered in destruction's bosom, or like the Sun when dwelling in the darkness.
6 Kaksivan, Pajra's son, must laud that exploit of yours, Nasatyas, Heroes, ye who wander!
When from the hoof of your strong horse ye showered a hundred jars of honey for the people.
7 To Krsna's son, to Visvaka who praised you, O Heroes, ye restored his son Visnapu.
To Ghosa, living in her father's dwelling, stricken in years, ye gave a husband, Asvins.
8 Rusati, of the mighty people, Asvins, ye gave to Syava of the line of Kanva.
This deed of yours, ye Strong Ones should be published, that ye gave glory to the son of Nrsad.
9 O Asvins, wearing many forms at pleasure, on Pedu ye bestowed a fleet-foot courser,
Strong, winner of a thousand spoils, resistless the serpent slayer, glorious, triumphant.
10 These glorious things are yours, ye Bounteous Givers; prayer, praise in both worlds are your habitation.
O Asvins, when the sons of Paira call you, send strength with nourishment to him who knoweth.
11 Hymned with the reverence of a son, O Asvins ye Swift Ones giving booty to the singer,
Glorified by Agastya with devotion, established Vispala again, Nasatyas.
12 Ye Sons of Heaven, ye Mighty, whither went ye, sought ye, for his fair praise the home of Kdvya.
When, like a pitcher full of gold, O Asvins, on the tenth day ye lifted up the buried?
13 Ye with the aid of your great powers, O Asvins, restored to youth the ancient man Cyavana.
The Daughter of the Sun with all her glory, O ye Nasatyas, chose your car to bear her.
14 Ye, ever-youthful Ones, again remembered Tugra, according to your ancient manner:
With horses brown of hue that flew with swift wings ye brought back Bhujyu from the sea of billows.
15 The son of Tugra had invoked you, Asvins; borne on he went uninjured through the ocean.
Ye with your chariot swift as thought, well-harnessed, carried him off, O Mighty Ones, to safety.
16 The quail had invocated you, O Asvins, when from the wolf's devouring jaws ye freed her.
With conquering car ye cleft the mountain's ridges: the offspring of Visvac ye killed with poison.
17 He whom for furnishing a hundred wethers to the she-wolf, his wicked father blinded,
To him, Rjrasva, gave ye eyes, O Asvins; light to the blind ye sent for perfect vision.
18 To bring the blind man joy thus cried the she-wolf: O Asvins, O ye Mighty Ones, O Heroes,
For me Rjrasva, like a youthful lover, hath. cut piecemeal one and a hundred wethers.
19 Great and weal-giving is your aid, O Asvins, ye, objects of all thought, made whole the cripple.
Purandhi also for this cause invoked you, and ye, O mighty, came to her with succours.
20 Ye, Wonder-Workers, filled with milk for Sayu the milkless cow, emaciated, barren;
And by your powers the child of Purumitra ye brought to Vimada to be his consort.
21 Ploughing and sowing barley, O ye Asvins, milking out food for men, ye Wonder-Workers,
Blasting away the Dasyu with your trumpet, ye gave far-spreading light unto the Arya.
22 Ye brought the horse's head, Asvins, and gave it unto Dadhyac the offspring of Atharvan.
True, he revealed to you, O WonderWorkers, sweet Soma, Tvastar's secret, as your girdle.
23 O Sages, evermore I crave your favour: be gracious unto all my prayers, O Asvins.
Grant me, Nasatyas, riches in abundance, wealth famous and accompanied with children.
24 With liberal bounty to the weakling's consorts ye, Heroes, gave a son Hiranyahasta;
And Syava, cut into three several pieces, ye brougnt to life again, O bounteous Asvins.
25 These your heroic exploits, O ye Asvins, done in the days. of old, have men related.
May we, addressing prayer to you, ye Mighty, speak with brave sons about us to. the synod.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXVIII. Asvins.

1. FLYING, with falcons, may your chariot, Asvins, most gracious, bringing friendly
help, come hither,-
Your chariot, swifter than the mind of mortal, fleet as the wind, three-seated O ye Mighty.
2 Come to us with your chariot triple seated, three-wheeled, of triple form, that rolleth lightly.
Fill full our cows, give mettle to our horses, and make each hero son grow strong, O Asvins.
3 With your well-rolling car, descending swiftly, hear this the press-stone's song, ye Wonder-Workers.
How then have ancient sages said, O Asvins, that ye most swiftly come to stay affliction?
4 O Asvins, let your falcons bear you hither, yoked to your chariot, swift, with flying pinions,
Which, ever active, like the airy eagles, carry you, O Nasatyas, to the banquet.
5 The youthful Daughter of the Sun, delighting in you, ascended there your chariot, Heroes.
Borne on their swift wings let your beauteous horses, your birds of ruddy hue, convey you near us.
6 Ye raised up Vandana, strong WonderWorkers! with great might, and with power ye rescued Rebha.
From out the sea ye saved the son of Tugra, and gave his youth again unto Cyavana.
7 To Atri, cast down to the fire that scorched him, ye gave, O Asvins, strengthening tbod and favour.
Accepting his fair praises with approval, ye gave his eyes again to blinded Kanva.
8 For ancient Sayti in his sore affliction ye caused his cow to swell with milk, O Asvins.
The quail from her great misery ye delivered, and a new leg for Vispala provided.
9 A white horse, Asvins, ye bestowed on Pedu, a serpent-slaying steed sent down by Indra,
Loud-neighing, conquering the foe, highmettled, firm-limbed and vigorous, winning thousand treasures.
10 Such as ye are, O nobly horn, O Heroes, we in our trouble call on you for succour.
Accepting these our songs, for our wellbeing come to us on your chariot treasure-laden.
11 Come unto us combined in love, Nasatyas come with the fresh swift vigour of the falcon.
Bearing oblations I invoke you, Asvins, at the first break of everlasting morning.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

HYMN CXIX. Asvins.

1. HITHER, that I may live, I call unto the feast your wondrous car, thought-swift, borne on by rapid steeds.
With thousand banners, hundred treasures, pouring gifts, promptly obedient, bestowing ample room.
2 Even as it moveth near my hymn is lifted up, and all the regions come together to sing praise.
I sweeten the oblations; now the helpers come. Urjani hath, O Asvins, mounted on your car.
3 When striving man with man for glory they have met, brisk, measurcIess, eager for victory in fight,
Then verily your car is seen upon the slope when ye, O Asvins, bring some choice boon to the prince.
4 Ye came to Bhujyu while he struggled in the flood, with flying birds, self-yoked, ye bore him to his sires.
Ye went to the far-distant home, O Mighty Ones; and famed is your great aid to Divodisa given.
5 Asvins, the car which you had yoked for glorious show your own two voices urged directed to its goal.
Then she who came for friendship, Maid of noble birth, elected you as Husbands, you to be her Lords.
6 Rebha ye saved from tyranny; for Atri's sake ye quenched with cold the fiery pit that compassed him.
Ye made the cow of Sayu stream refreshing milk, and Vandana was holpen to extended life.
7 Doers of marvels, skilful workers, ye restored Vandana, like a car, worn out with length of days.
From earth ye brought the sage to life in wondrous mode; be your great deeds done here for him who honours you.
8 Ye went to him who mourned in a far distant place, him who was left forlorn by treachery of his sire.
Rich with the light ofheaven was then the help ye gave, and marvellous your succour when ye stood by him.
9 To you in praise of sweetness sang the honey-bee: Ausija calleth you in Soma's rapturous joy.
Ye drew unto yourselves the spirit of Dadhyac, and then the horse's head uttered his words to you.
10 A horse did ye provide for Pedu, excellent, white, O ye Asvins, conqueror of combatants,
Invincible in war by arrows, seeking heaven worthy of fame, like Indra, vanquisher of men.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXX. Asvins.

1. ASVINS, what praise may win your grace? Who may be pleasing to you both?
How shall the ignorant worship you?
2 Here let the ignorant ask the means of you who know-for none beside you knoweth aught -
Not of a spiritless mortal man.
3 Such as ye: are, all-wise, we call you. Ye wise, declare to us this day accepted prayer.
Loving you well your servant lauds you.
4 Simply, ye Mighty Ones, I ask the Gods of that wondrous oblation hallowed by the mystic word.
Save us from what is stronger, fiercer than ourselves.
5 Forth go the hymn that shone in Ghosa Bhrgu's like, the song wherewith the son of Pajra worships you,
Like some wise minister.
6 Hear ye the song of him who hastens speedily. O Asvins, I am he who sang your praise.
Hither, ye Lords of Splendour, hither turn your eyes.
7 For ye were ever nigh to deal forth ample wealth, to give the wealth that ye had gathered up.
As such, ye Vasus, guard us well, and keep us safely from the wicked wolf.
8 Give us not up to any man who hateth us, nor let our milch-cows stray, whose udders give us food,
Far from our homes without their calves.
9 May they who love you gain you for their Friends. Prepare ye us for opulence with strengthening food,
Prepare us for the food that floweth from our cows
10 1 have obtained the horseless car of Asvins rich in sacrifice,
And I am well content therewith.
11 May it convey me evermore: may the light chariot pass from men
To men unto the Soma draught.
12 It holdeth slumber in contempt. and the rich who enjoyeth not:
Both vanish quickly and are lost.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXXI, Indra.

1. WHEN Will men's guardians hasting hear with favour the song of Angiras's pious
childern?
When to the people of the home he cometh he strideth to the sacrifice, the Holy.
2 He stablished heaven; he poured forth, skilful worker, the wealth of kine, for strength, that nurtures heroes.
The Mighty One his self-born host regarded, the horse's mate, the mother of the heifer.
3 Lord of red dawns, he came victorious, daily to the Angirases' former invocation.
His bolt and team hath he prepared, and stablished the heaven for quadrupeds and men two-footed.
4 In joy of this thou didst restore, for worship, the lowing company of hidden cattle.
When the three-pointed one descends with onslaught he opens wide the doors that cause man trouble.
5 Thine is that milk which thy swift-moving Parents brought down, a strengthening genial gift for conquest;
When the pure treasure unto thee they offered, the milk shed from the cow who streameth nectar.
6 There is he born. May the Swift give us rapture, and like the Sun shine forth from yonder dawning,
Indu, even us who drank, whose toils are offerings, poured from the spoon, with praise, upon the altar.
7 When the wood-pile, made of good logs, is ready, at the Sun's worship to bind fast the Bullock,
Then when thou shinest forth through days of action for the Car-borne, the Swift, tile Cattle-seeker.
8 Eight steeds thou broughtest down from mighty heaven, when fighting for the well that giveth splendour,
That men might press with stones the gladdening yellow, strengthened with milk, fermenting, to exalt thee.
9 Thou hurledst forth from heaven the iron missile, brought by the Skilful, from the sling of leather,
When thou, O Much-invoked, assisting Kutsa with endless deadly darts didst compass Susna.
10 Bolt-armed, ere darkness overtook the sunlight, thou castest at the veiling cloud thy weapon,
Thou rentest, out of heaven, though firmly knotted, the might of Susna that was thrown around him.
11 The mighty Heaven and Earth, those bright expanses that have no wheels, joyed, Indra, at thine exploit.
Vrtra, the boar who lay amid the waters, to sleep thou sentest with thy mighty thunder.
12 Mount Indra, lover of the men thou guardest, the well-yoked horses of the wind, best bearers.
The bolt which Kavya Usana erst gave thee, strong, gladdening, Vrtra-slaying, hath he fashioned *
13 The strong Bay Horses of the Sun thou stayedst: this Etasa drew not the wheel, O Indra.
Casting them forth beyond the ninety rivers thou dravest down into the pit the godless.
14 Indra, preserve thou us from this affliction Thunder-armed, save us from the misery near us.
Vouchsafe us affluence in chariots, founded on horses, for our food and fame and gladness.
15 Never may this thy loving-kindness fail us; mighty in strength, may plenteous food surround us.
Maghavan, make us share the foeman's cattle: may we be thy most liberal feast companions.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by ராகவன் Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:14 am

HYMN CXXII Visvadevas.

1. SAY, bringing sacrifice to bounteous Rudra, This juice for drink to you whose wrath is fleeting!
With Dyaus the Asura's Heroes I have lauded the Maruts as with prayer to Earth and Heaven.
2 Strong to exalt the early invocation are Night and Dawn who show with varied aspect.
The Barren clothes her in wide-woven raiment, and fair Morn shines with Surya's golden splendour.
3 Cheer us the Roamer round, who strikes at morning, the Wind delight us, pourer forth of waters!
Sharpen our wits, O Parvata and Indra. May all the Gods vouchsafe to us this favour.
4 And Ausija shall call for me that famous Pair who enjoy and drink, who come to brighten.
Set ye the Offspring of the Floods before you; both Mothers of the Living One who beameth.
5 For you shall Ausija call him who thunders, as, to win Arjuna's assent, cried Ghosa.
I will invoke, that Pusan may be bounteous to you, the rich munificence of Agni.
6 Hear, Mitra-Varuna, these mine invocations, hear them from all men in the hall of worship.
Giver of famous gifts, kind hearer, Sindhu who gives fair fields, listen with all his waters 1
7 Praised, Mitra, Varuna! is your gift, a hundred cows to the Prksayamas and the Pajra.
Presented by car-famous Priyaratha, supplying nourishment, they came directly.
8 Praised is the gift of him the very wealthy: may we enjoy it, men with hero children:
His who hath many gifts to give the Pajras, a chief who makes me rich in cars and horses.
9 The folk, O Mitra-Varuna, who hate you, who sinfully hating pour you no libations,
Lay in their hearts, themselves, a wasting sickness, whereas the righteous gaineth all by worship.
10 That man, most puissant, wondrously urged onward, famed among heroes, liberal in giving,
Moveth a warrior, evermore undaunted in all encounters even with the mighty.
11 Come to the man's, the sacrificer's calling: hear, Kings of Immortality, joy-givers!
While ye who speed through clouds decree your bounty largely, for fame, to him the chariot rider.
12 Vigour will we bestow on that adorer whose tenfold draught we come to taste, so spake they.
May all in whom rest splendour and great riches obtain refreshment in these sacrifices.
13 We will rejoice to drink the tenfold present when the twicefive come bearing sacred viands.
What can he do whose steeds and reins are choicest? These, the all-potent, urge brave men to conquest.
14 The sea and all the Deities shall give us him with the golden car and neck bejewelled.
Dawns, hasting to the praises otthe pious, be pleased with us. both offerers and singers.
15 Four youthful sons of Masarsara vex me, three, of the king, the conquering Ayavasa.
Now like the Sun, O Varuna and Mitra, your car hath shone, long-shaped and reined with splendour.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXXIII. Dawn.

1. THE Daksina's broad chariot hath been harnessed: this car the Gods Immortal have ascended.
Fain to bring light to homes of men the noble and active Goddess hath emerged from darkness.
2 She before all the living world hath wakened, the Lofty One who wins and gathers treasure.
Revived and ever young on high she glances. Dawn hath come first unto our morning worship.
3 If, Dawn, thou Goddess nobly born, thou dealest fortune this day to all the race of mortals,
May Savitar the God, Friend of the homestead, declare before the Sun that we are sinless.
4 Showing her wonted form each day that passeth, spreading the light she visiteth each dwelling.
Eager for conquest, with bright sheen she cometh. Her portion is the best of goodly treasures.
5 Sister of Varuna, sister of Bhaga, first among all sing forth, O joyous Morning.
Weak be the strength of him who worketh evil - may we subdue him with our car the guerdon.
6 Let our glad hymns and holy thoughts rise upward, for the flames brightly burning have ascended.
The far-refulgent Mornings make apparent the lovely treasures which the darkness covered.
7 The one departeth and the other cometh: unlike in hue day's, halves march on successive.
One hides the gloom of the surrounding Parents. Dawn on her shining chariot is resplendent.
8 The same in form to-day, the same tomorrow, they still keep Varuna's eternal statute.
Blameless, in turn they traverse thirty regions, and dart across the spirit in a moment.
9 She who hath knowledge Of the first day's nature is born refulgent white from out the darkness.
The Maiden breaketh not the law of Order, day by day coming to the place appointed.
10 In pride of beauty like a maid thou goest, O Goddess, to the God who longs to win thee,
And smiling youthful, as thou shinest brightly, before him thou discoverest thy bosom.
11 Fair as a bride embellished by her mother thou showest forth thy form that all may see it.
Blessed art thou O Dawn. Shine yet more widely. No other Dawns have reached what thou attainest.
12 Rich in kine, horses, and all goodly treasures, in constant operation with the sunbeams,
The Dawns depart and come again again assuming their wonted forms that promise happy fortune.
13 Obedient to the rein of Law Eternal give us each thought that more and more shall bless us.
Shine thou on us to-day, Dawn, swift to listen. With us be riches and with chiefs who worship.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXXIV. Dawn.

1. THE Dawn refulgent when the fire is kindled, and the Sun rising, far diffuse their brightness.
Savitar, God, hath sentus forth to labour, each quadruped, each biped, to be active.
2 Not interrupting heavenly ordinances, although she minisheth human generations.
The last of endless morns that have departed, the first of those that come, Dawn brightly shineth.
3 There in the eastern region she, Heaven's Daughter, arrayed in garments all of light, appeareth.
Truly she fo1loweth the path of Order, nor faileth, knowing well, the heavenly quarters.
4 Near is she seen, as 'twere the Bright One's bosom: she showeth sweet things like a new song-singer.
She cometh like a fly awaking sleepers, of all. returning dames most true and constant.
5 There in the east half of the watery region the Mother of the Cows hath shown her ensign.
Wider and wider still she spreadeth onward, and filleth full the laps of both heir Parents.
6 She, verily, exceeding vast to look on debarreth from her light nor kin nor stranger.
Proud of her spotless form she, brightly shiming, turneth not from the high nor froom the humble.
7 She seeketh men, as she who hath no brother, mounting her car, as 'twere to gather riches.
Dawn, like a loving matron for her husband, smiling and well attired, unmasks her beauty.
8 The Sister quitteth, for the elder Sister, her place, and having looked on her departeth.
She decks her beauty, shining forth with sunbeams, like women trooping to the festal meeting.
9 To all these Sisters who ere now have vanished a later one each day in course succeedeth.
So, like the past, with days of happy fortune, may the new Dawns shine forth on us with riches.
10 Rouse up, O Wealthy One, the liberal givers; let niggard traffickers sleep on unwakened:
Shine richly, Wealthy One, on those who worship, richly, glad.
Dawn while wasting, on the singer.
11 This young Maid from the east hath shone upon us; she harnesseth her team of bright red oxen.
She will beam forth, the light will hasten hither, and Agni will be present in each dwelling.
12 As the birds fly forth from their resting places, so men with store of food rise at thy dawning.
Yea, to the liberal mortal who remaineth at home, O Goddess Dawn, much good thou bringest.
13 Praised through my prayer be ye who should be lauded. Ye have increased our wealth, ye Dawns who love us.
Goddesses, may we win by your good favour wealth to be told by hundreds and by thousands.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

HYMN CXXV. Svanaya.

1. COMING at early morn he gives his treasure; the prudent one receives and entertains him.
Thereby increasing still his life and offspring, he comes with brave sons to abundant riches.
2 Rich shall he be in gold and kine and horses. Indra bestows on him great vital power,
Who stays thee, as thou comest, with his treasure, like game caught in the net, O early comer.
3 Longing, I came this morning to the pious, the son of sacrifice, with car wealth. laden.
Give him to drink juice of the stalk that gladdens; prosper with pleasant hymns the Lord of Heroes.
4 Health-bringing streams, as milch-cows, flow to profit him who hath worshipped, him who now will worship.
To him who freely gives and fills on all sides full streams of fatness flow and make him famous.
5 On the high ridge of heaven he stands exalted, yea, to the Gods he goes, the liberal giver.
The streams, the waters flow for him with fatness: to him this guerdon ever yields abundance.
6 For those who give rich meeds are all these splendours, for those who give rich meeds suns shine in heaven.
The givers of rich meeds are made immortal; the givers of rich fees prolong their lifetime.
7 Let not the liberal sink to sin and sorrow, never decay the pious -chiefs who worship!
Let every man besides be their protection, and let affliction fall upon the niggard.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next