இந்து சமயம்
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» சித்திரை-நமது புத்தாண்டுத் தொடக்கம்.
by Dheeran Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:21 am

» மீண்டும் வருக
by Dheeran Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:08 am

» கே இனியவன் ஆன்மீக கவிதைகள்
by கே இனியவன் Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm

» தீபத்திருநாள் வாழ்த்துக்கள்
by Dheeran Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:01 pm

» பண்டைய இந்தியாவின் விமானத் தொழில் நுட்பம்
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:23 pm

» வெற்றி மாபெரும் வெற்றி!
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:16 pm

» பாரதி பாடலில் அராஜக “செக்யுலர்” திருத்தங்கள் - ஜடாயு
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:55 pm

» மோடி, கருப்புப்பண ஒழிப்பு, ஊடகங்கள் - ஜெயமோகன்
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:41 pm

» அனைவருக்கும் வணக்கம்.
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:46 am

» நான் ஒரு ஹிந்து என்பதில் ஏன் பெருமிதம் கொள்கிறேன் – பாகம் 1 AGNIVEER
by ஆனந்தபைரவர் Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:42 am

» தேவையா இந்த சமஸ்கிருத துவேஷம்
by Dheeran Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46 pm

» சிவ வழிபாடு புத்தகம்
by tammy ranga Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 am

» ஷ்ரிடி சாய் பாபா புண்ணிய வரலாறு தமிழில்
by tammy ranga Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:35 am

» ஆரிய திராவிட மாயை
by Dheeran Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:10 pm

» தென்புலத்தார் வழிபாடு
by Dheeran Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:50 pm

» தமிழ் ஹிந்துவும் இலவச ஜோதிட கணிப்பு
by ஹரி ஓம் Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:36 am

» வெற்றி வேல்!!!வீரவேல்!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by ஹரி ஓம் Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:09 am

» சிவதாண்டவம் - PB ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ்
by i.mahatheva Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:24 pm

» கால சர்ப்ப தோஷம் என்றால் என்ன?
by jothi sangeetha Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

» மல்லிகைப் பூவை தலையில் சூடுங்கள் - பல்வேறு பிரச்சினைகளுக்கு மருந்து
by கே இனியவன் Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 am

Topsites
Tamil 10 top sites [www.tamil10 .com ]
Ranking

A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News)

Go down

A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News) Empty A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News)

Post by ராகவன் Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:30 pm

A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News) _47382715_puritemple2
An icon of a Hindu deity is paraded through streets and throngs of people

For millions of Indian Hindus, the temple is a place of worship and reverence. But as Krupa Padhy discovered during a visit to one of the country's famous temples in the state of Orissa, it can feel like stepping into a circus.

It is dusk as I approach the temple. A tired sun sinking behind the temple dome ought to mean a serene moment. But far from it.

I am walking up Grand Road in Puri - and grand it certainly is, but busy too.

Vegetable vendors, herdsmen, rickshaw drivers and food stallholders are all crammed in against a backdrop of brightly painted 18th Century houses piled on top of one another like blocks of Lego.

And just to add a bit of extra colour, they are plastered with posters of the latest Bollywood movie.

After all, even the most devout residents need a bit of time out.

I am told the Grand Road is one of the widest in India.

And it has to accommodate the two million worshippers who gather here in June for the annual Rath Yatra, or chariot festival.

Monkeys everywhere

On this day, statuettes of the three main deities are removed from their jewelled platform inside the temple and paraded along Grand Road. They call it their annual holiday.

I am led into the temple grounds by Rudr Narayan Kuntya, a chatty and knowledgeable chap who is dressed in the purest of white robes.

Inside, the first thing I notice is there are monkeys everywhere.

They are cavorting among the ancient temple structures, dancing on the domes, scouring the ground for food and hopping on the temple steps.

We move on to the temple kitchen. Here, if a dog enters the room, all food being prepared there must be thrown away.

As we leave the kitchen quarters, I notice a monkey squeezing itself through one of the grilles on the windows.
Dogs may be banned but monkeys have unlimited entry.

"They protect the deity," Rudr tells me.

Generosity

I am told some of the astonishing kitchen statistics: 200 people prepare the food. There are 400 cooks and more than 10,000 diners every day. This really must be the world's largest kitchen.

Monkeys are not the only permanent residents of the Jagannath Temple in Puri - there are saddhus, or holy men, who are devoted to the study of the Hindu Vedas or sacred texts.

They perch on white balconies in their yogic poses and warn me against the likes of my guide Rudr. And as he takes me to what is known as the donation counter, I learn that his intentions may not all be holy.

His commission, it turns out, depends on the amount I donate and naturally he is hoping I will be rather generous. He leaves the counter a somewhat disappointed man.

Suddenly I find myself at the front of the crowd. I am sandwiched next to a group of elderly women, their heads draped in white saris.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

http://www.tamilhindu.net/

Back to top Go down

A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News) Empty Re: A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News)

Post by ராகவன் Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:33 pm

A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News) Puri-rath-yatra1
Hindu festivals often draw hundreds of thousands of people

As the curtains open to reveal the silver and gold statuettes, more people pour in eager to catch a glimpse.

Spiderman
The women erupt into a piercing round of yodelling.

This, they reckon, helps to ward off evil. The worshippers throw their hands into the air and chant the name of Jagannath, a word which translates as lord of the universe.

As we finish our prayers we join a crowd of hundreds of worshippers who are sitting on the ground staring at the temple dome.

It is flag-changing time. Like Spiderman, a priest dressed in an orange toga climbs 65 metres up the outside of the temple tower while facing the crowd.

The crowd bursts out into another wave of yodelling and religious chanting.

It is quite a show - a circus performance at the temple, a two-in-one bonus.

And clearly, the entertainment is hugely appreciated by those who have travelled great distances to be here.

Body is a temple

Leaving the temple grounds I spot a group of non-Indian Hindus who are praying with their heads down at the gates.

A Hindu temple full of surprises (BBC News) _47382754_puritemple
Worshippers petition Hindu deities to end their suffering

They tell me they are part of a Hare Ram Hare Krishna group from Russia.

I ask them how they feel about not being allowed to enter the temple grounds, after having travelled so far.

"We accept it," says one. "Getting this close is enough for us. Who are we to dispute the will of Krishna?"

The Hindu scriptures say you cannot convert to Hinduism.

The religion you are born into is the only one that will eventually take you to a better place. But another rule of Hinduism is that your soul is your god and your body is your temple.

Maybe this is why the Russians I met are so accepting of the temple's entrance policy.

And if my body really is my temple, then it certainly takes a knocking as I travel later in a cycle rickshaw.

An impatient lorry driver causes my rickshaw to swerve sharply. I am promptly tossed into the air and land by a vegetable stall.

Local people rush over to make sure all is well as the lorry driver makes a quick getaway.

I am all right.

The rickshaw driver is soon back at work on the Grand Road. And anyway, I have just been to the temple, so all is forgiven.
ராகவன்
ராகவன்
வழிநடத்துனர்

http://www.tamilhindu.net/

Back to top Go down